What's all this, then?

Each Halloween season, when the Greenwood Reaper inhabits my yard, people ask me “How did you make it?” and “What is it made from?”.

Since I’m making a bigger and better reaper I figured I’d make this blog to answer those questions. This is also a way for interested parties to ask questions and see the progress of the project.

The only regular time I spend building is on the week-ends, so it’s likely posts will appear early in the week.

The posts appear with the newest on top, so if you're new to the sight scroll to the bottom to read the beginning.



Enjoy.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sanding and painting



Once the resin cured thoroughly (I waited a week), I used an angle grinder, with a cutting wheel, to trim off the stray bits of hardened fiber.
I changed to a sanding disk and smoothed out a lot of the really rough spots.

I probably don't need to mention the potential health risks when sanding fiberglass...
none the less, I used painter's plastic the isolate an area in my workshop and used head-to-toe Tyvex cover-alls, latex gloves, a bandanna and, of course, a respirator.













Once the skull was adequately quaffed I sprayed the whole thing flat black.



When the flat-black was dry I used a foam paint roller to apply some slightly tinted, flat-white enamel paint. I tinted the white paint with some brownish-yellow paint that I got for $1 in the 'oops' paint at Lowe's.







No self respecting grim reaper would be seen with a skull that was too bright white.




No comments: