What's all this, then?

Each Halloween season, when the Greenwood Reaper inhabits my yard, people ask me “How did you make it?” and “What is it made from?”.

Since I’m making a bigger and better reaper I figured I’d make this blog to answer those questions. This is also a way for interested parties to ask questions and see the progress of the project.

The only regular time I spend building is on the week-ends, so it’s likely posts will appear early in the week.

The posts appear with the newest on top, so if you're new to the sight scroll to the bottom to read the beginning.



Enjoy.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Applying the foam

Foam. What can I say about foam? I could dedicate a whole website just to the artistic application of polyurethane foam… and I just might. Anyway, applying the foam to the screened frame went more or less as expected. Knowing that uncured foam has the viscosity of cheap whipped-cream, I maneuvered the frame so that the place that I was going to apply the foam was more or less horizontal. I worked as unhurriedly and patiently as my personality would allow (which isn’t terribly unhurried OR patient).

The complete application of the foam took about one man-hour, but that was stretched over about eight total hours. This was because I had to apply the foam to as many horizontal surfaces as possible, then wait for it to cure long enough to support it’s own weight and not gloop off on to the floor, then re-maneuver the frame and apply more foam.


Once the frame was adequately covered and the foam had cured (I let it set overnight), I pulled out the irrigation pipe leaving more-or-less perfectly round eye holes.



No comments: