What's all this, then?

Each Halloween season, when the Greenwood Reaper inhabits my yard, people ask me “How did you make it?” and “What is it made from?”.

Since I’m making a bigger and better reaper I figured I’d make this blog to answer those questions. This is also a way for interested parties to ask questions and see the progress of the project.

The only regular time I spend building is on the week-ends, so it’s likely posts will appear early in the week.

The posts appear with the newest on top, so if you're new to the sight scroll to the bottom to read the beginning.



Enjoy.

Monday, September 8, 2008

To arms! To arms!!

Since one of the arms will need to be wired to accommodate low-voltage landscape lights I opted to make it out of ½” steel pipe and rebar in a truss configuration (sort of like the way a construction crane is made). 

When it was all welded together I ran the wire through the arm and zip-tied the end of the wire to the index finger.  






To ensure the knuckles looked like knuckles I cut pieces of PVC pipe and taped them to the joints.  






That done I covered the whole thing in expanding foam, let it cure, 






and proceeded to carve away the parts that didn’t look like a skeletal arm. 

No comments: